Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Covering History

In 1992, I was in kindergarten and proudly told my class that I would have voted for Bill Clinton if I could have because he seemed like a "nice man." Now, more than 15 years later, I am proud to say I no longer naively watch elections from the sidelines and can both vote and exercise my curiosity as a young journalist. This last election period was exceptional—not only was it the biggest event of the political season, it was one of the most powerful and significant moments in recent American history.

As a producer at Annenberg TV News, my job was to design and oversee a live, 30-minute newscast that detailed what was happening with USC student voting but also took a look at the greater Los Angeles community and country at large. We had comprehensive election coverage, from the different Propositions on the ballot to the race for County Supervisor.

Here's a look at a story I worked on in the week leading up to the election for ATVN that explained how both sides of the political student aisle were gearing up for the election.

Producing the newscast on Election Day is something I think I will never forget. The intensity and anxiety that was often felt throughout the day was completely worth it by night's end. I am so proud of my Tuesday teammates, reporters, writer-shooter-editors and studio crew. Together, I think we pulled off an incredibly informative and up-to-date show.

Inserting the breaking news as states were being called by CNN was exhilarating in the studio. We were literally typing into the rundown seconds before our anchors were reading the breaking news. Being a part of the post-newscast process was also a great experience as a producer. I was so impressed by everyone who was there and doing liveshots all over Southern California for their dedication and skill.





THE INAUGURATION

I decided to take a few days off of school to fly to DC and meet my best friend Victoria to attend one of the most memorable events in my young life thus far. Good thing I brought my camera along. Check out my exciting journey to DC below.



As I sat in the airport waiting to board my plane back to Los Angeles, I couldn’t help but feel extraordinary. I was there. I witnessed history along with millions (literally) of my peers and fellow empowered citizens. While waiting on the Washington Mall, I kept thinking about President Obama’s effect on both the youth and generations who were around to see and experience the kind of discrimination Obama referred to in his inaugural speech.

But despite the exuberant nature of the day, I felt there was a detectable undercurrent of solemnity with regard to the economic crisis. I appreciated Obama’s candor and stern tone as he spoke of the challenges ahead. I think the American people have spectacularly high expectations for their new president and “hope” this “change” will come as quickly as Obama was to promise it in his campaign.

As a young journalist, it was certainly an amazing time to be there. It was the perfect culmination to an election season that had cemented any doubts I may have had about being a reporter for the rest of my life. When history is being made, I want to be there—not only as a self-interested news junkie but as someone who feels a responsibility to report on important events in order to spread a greater societal awareness.

Journalism is a key function of democracy and though it may be in a state of panic in terms of business models and sunk costs, I am confident that the young generation of journalists heading into the professional world now is more than ready to take on the challenge.

Check out a slideshow of some pictures I took on my trip below!



Some links to more great election coverage:

ATVN

MSNBC

The New York Times

No comments:

Post a Comment